Emotional regulation is a challenge for many children, it requires self-awareness, the ability to identify feelings and then implement strategies to calm themselves once overstimulated. Therapists can help children, parents and teachers to support children with difficulties in emotional regulation.
Children with emotional regulation issues may:
· Have regular tantrums/meltdowns and be unable to calm themselves down once the issue is solved
· Regularly clash with their peers
· Frequently worry, stress or experience anxiety
· Become easily upset
· Withdraw from social interactions
· Turn away from adult caregivers